Wednesday 17 September 2014

My Suppliers


When I first started doing leatherwork a couple years ago, I had only one supplier (Tandy Leather Factory) and one goal: amass my materials and tools as cheaply as possible. My reasoning was this: if I got tired of doing leatherwork, it would be less of a loss with cheap tools. And with cheaper materials, my learner's mistakes would be less costly.

I still think this is a good decision for starting out - leather is expensive, and so are good tools. That being said, it became almost immediately clear to me that if I was going to be at all serious about my work, I would have to get serious about my supplies and where they came from. Some cheap tools (like stitch markers, groovers and things) work perfectly well, while others (awls, punches, etc.) end up being more work than they're worth.

Disregarding economic reasons, there are various ethical concerns involved. Where was the leather tanned, and what did it take to get it to me? what impact did it have on the local environment and people? Do I want to support businesses that exploit the their workers and damage the environment through negligence? What does it say about me if I purchase supplies from such companies? How can I demand change from governments and corporations if I refuse to change my own purchasing habits?

When I buy something, I like to know where and how it is made. Now that I've started a business doing this stuff, I think it's important that people know what goes into the items I make. I evaluate my suppliers (and supplies) based on a lot of things - quality of the product, it's relative environmental impacts, the distance it has to travel to get to me, and the conditions workers deal with. I've had varying degrees of success (as you'll see below) but I think it's worth the effort.

Supplier #1 - Longview Leather (Longview, Alberta)


Don Vincent, the proprietor of Longview Leather, knows his business. Right now, he's the only Canadian supplier I know of for Hermann Oak Leather (see below).  He's also got a good selection of quality hardware, like belt buckles, swivels, etc. Recently, he's begun stocking more tools and a much larger variety of leathers.

But where Longview Leather shines is customer service. Don has called me to double check orders, to give me the option of waiting for better quality leather to come in, and has even given me store credit when shipments are a little late. He's sent me samples of leather he had got in limited quanities he thought I might like. He's never taken more than a day to answer my emails. If it sounds like I'm gushing, well, that's just the way it is. I never have a problem buying from Longview, and the stuff I've gotten is top rate.

Supplier #2 - Hermann Oak Leather (St. Louis, Missouri)

This one's not really a direct supplier - I only purchase their products through Longview Leather - but they're key to my process. Hermann Oak leather is a high quality vegetable tanned leather made St. Louis, Missouri, from North American steer hides. There's simply no comparing it with cheaper imports. It's firm, has little stretch, stamps well, takes oil and dyes well, and holds up well to hard use. As an added bonus, for my SCA/historical stuff, it's the closest match to leather tanned in ancient times and the middle ages. 95% of my items are made using this leather.

Being sited in the U.S., they have stricter environmental standards than tanneries in the developing world (There's a reason Hermann Oak is one of the last tanneries operating in North America - most have fled to less-regulated countries). And, because Hermann Oak  is vegetable tanned, there are fewer toxic byproducts produced. It's not perfect, but leather tanning has always been, and likely always will be, something of a dirty practice. For more information, see their Environmental Statement or Tannery Tour video.

Supplier #3 - Douglas Tools/ Sheridan Leather

Bob Douglas makes tools I regularly drool over. He now sells his tools directly through Sheridan Leather (themselves a quality operation). I would buy more from Sheridan Leather, but shipping and duties become prohibitive for regular supplies. The one tool I've bought from Douglas Tools there is the awl and awl blade. The awl handle is made from cocobolo and has a smooth, comfortable finish. It takes a little getting used to if you like a contoured handle. The blades, though, are worth their weight in gold. These are handmade and come sharpened and polished. They go through leather  easily and hold an edge. After probably hundreds of hours hand stitching with these blades, I've only ever stropped them to keep the edge up. They are expensive ($27.00 for a blade) but the time saved on re-sharpening, and the ease of stitching, make them a worthwhile investment.

Supplier #4 - Isle Away Apiaries (Manitoulin Island)

This is the most local supplier I have - they're right here on Manitoulin Island. They produce high-quality honey and beeswax from their 65 hives. Their honey is delicious, and their wax is great - and I must say, among the cheapest I've found. I mostly use the wax for making leather finishes or for hardening drinking vessels. Nancy Kains, my contact there, is super friendly and knows her stuff - they run courses on bee-keeping as well as their own operation. I'm not sure if it qualifies as 'organic' or pesticide free, but given what I know of the immediate area, there doesn't appear to be much intensive agriculture nearby. I'm confident that it's as close to organic as honey and beeswax can get without certification.

 If you're ever on the Island, buy some Isle Away honey - you won't regret it.

Supplier #5 Campbell-Randall
I don't purchase much from Campbell-Randall, but they're a critical supplier of mine. As far as I've found, they're one of the only retail suppliers in North America for large rolls of unwaxed linen thread. I mostly use their Barbour linen thread. The thread is consistent and looks great on the leather. Much better, in my opinion, than the synthetic threads I once used. I don't really know how it compares to other linen threads. Customer service at Campbell was very good - they answered my questions promptly and helped me track my order when it got held up at the border.

The linen itself is made from flax and is a natural fibre. When I can get it, I use the Barbour linen thread that is made in the United States. I haven't been able to discover where the flax is grown - according to FAOSTAT, flax fibre is mostly grown in China, Russia and Europe. Canada's flax industry focuses on the export of the seeds from the flax, so it's not likely grown here.

Supplier #6 Tandy Leather Factory

Ah, Tandy. The Wal-Mart of leather suppliers..

Tandy's low end tools are a boon to beginners. You can get into hobby leather working without spending a huge amount of money. To be honest, I've purchased most of my tools there. They have an online store, they have good shipping options, and the staff has always been helpful and friendly, though they don't reach the gold standard of Longview Leather.

The down side: If you want tools made of good steel that will hold an edge, or ones that are adequately pre-sharpened, look somewhere else. Most tools are made overseas, and there's no way to check up on the manufacturing or environmental processes - though I did get a marble slab on sale there that has a large "Made in USA" stamped right on the underside.

I have no idea where their different grades of vegetable-tanned leather come from. Most leather is tanned overseas, in China or India, where working conditions are often questionable at best, and environmental regulations are lax or simply not enforced, but I have no way of knowing where it is sourced from. The quality of Tandy's leather varies considerably, and when you're not able to go to the store and pick and choose what you want, you get whatever they decide to give you. Even though the leather is cheaper by the square foot, it often results in less useable leather over all, making a hide like Hermann Oak a better investment. When you buy Tandy leather on sale, it seems you get lower quality hides as well - clearing out leather that has already been picked over for the best.

When I buy from Tandy Leather, I do so because I can't really find what I need anywhere else. I do get my rivets and lace from there, as for the most part  all suppliers carry the same stuff. I have to stress that I have no problem with the service I've received from their staff, but overall the quality is lacking and I have concerns about the sourcing of most of their products.

Final Thoughts

From the list above, it's easy to see that I am far from being a 100% sustainable business. But with some time, effort, and money, I'm able to ensure that most of my consumables (leather, thread, wax etc.) are made from natural materials. Where I can, I buy high-quality tools from skilled craftspeople. I try to avoid purchasing tools and supplies of unknown source and impact, and I reward companies that meet my criteria with continued business. Aside from all these ethical concerns, I think that this kind of thoughtful sourcing has resulted in higher quality raw materials for my crafting, and in the end, higher quality finished products.

It's not always easy, or cheap. And it's a constant struggle to improve on my sustainability. But I sleep better at night knowing that my customers receive items made with both quality and conscience.

Thanks for reading.
Jake Diebolt




4 comments:

  1. I saw your wares briefly at Christmas in Kagawong but didn't get a chance to talk to you about them, I was stuck at my table. I love the mugs. Have you ever experimented with doing your own tanning? I've read a lot about it, and perhaps it'll be an experiment one day, way in the future. I have Pebblewood Farm near Mindemoya and definitely hear your struggles with sourcing. All of my soap is 100% natural, but I'm planning a transition to local as much as possible. That means rendering tallow from the community abattoir. I will have to talk to Nancy about beeswax too! In so many ways local is much more ethical than vegan here in the North, but I'll try avoid those arguments! I love that you are blogging too. I keep wanting to, but never do. Keep up your awesome work! I'm at http://www.pebblewoodfarm.wordpress.com. Let me know if you ever have a soap request! Oh, also, I've had a few customers interested in wax food wraps for replacing plastic. Although not leather, your experience with using beeswax and pine rosin would make it pretty easy if you were interested in adding a product to your repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was Gore Bay, not Kagawong...

      Delete
    2. Hey, sorry about the late reply! My entire December was chewed up with last minute orders and holiday visiting. It was definitely at the Gore Bay market, although I did drop by the Kagawong market briefly.

      I've never experimented with my own tanning, though I have a deer hide in my freezer awaiting the attempt. I might do things here or there, but I can't imagine ever doing all my own tanning. It's a laborious, time consuming process - even more so than what I do right now. By historical methods, vegetable-tanned leather might take over a year to tan properly - with thick cow hide, maybe a couple years! It's always been an industrial process, involving milling bark for tannins, butchering cattle, and then the long slow tannin soaking. It's possible to brain-tan hides relatively quickly, but they don't have the qualities of vegetable tanned leather.

      Let me know if you have any luck sourcing suet from the community abattoir. I got a bag of it from Max Burt at one point and successfully rendered some tallow for treating some leather "shoes" I'd made for our SCA garb. It seemed like it would be hit or miss being able to get it though.

      Interestingly, my wife has experimented with beeswax wraps to replaced plastic, with limited success. The cloths we used ended up being too stiff. Given the amount of scrap fabric we have lying around, it may be time soon to try again.

      Thank you for the kind words. Good luck with the farm and the soap! Always great to hear from another local producer.

      Delete
  2. I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up.. Waltery Synthetic Leather Co., Ltd

    ReplyDelete